It’s that time of year! Pumpkin is loaded with Vitamin A and fiber. One cup of canned pumpkin has 7 grams of fiber (more than 2 slices of whole grain bread) which is sure to help you stay full! It also has Vitamin C and lots of other great nutrients!
But not all pumpkin items are healthy. A Starbucks pumpkin scone has 480 calories (150 from fat). Instead, try these Paleo Pumpkin Cranberry Muffin Tops from Athletic Avocado
Did you know that a Starbucks grande pumpkin spice latte has 420 calories? Order a grande with nonfat milk and no whip lowers it to 260 cals. Or try making your own with this recipe from Amy’s Healthy Baking.
Or How about using pumpkin in smoothies? Here’s a protein packed recipe from Sally’s Baking Addiction
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup (120g) vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup (120ml) skim milk
- 2 Tablespoons (30ml) pure maple syrup
- 2/3 cup (150g) pumpkin puree (canned or fresh)
- 1 cup ice