Do you ever feel like the plant in “Little Shop of Horrors”… “FEED ME!”
We can’t assume that we really are hungry or if we are, is there a reason besides not having eaten anything for a couple of hours?
- Are my meds making me hungry?
- Am I actually thirsty?
- Is my lack of sleep causing an imbalance in my hunger hormones?
- Am I experiencing stress which raises my cortisol level which can cause me to want to eat everything in sight?
- Do I eat too fast?
- Could it be the result of an overactive thyroid?
- Am I emotional eating?
- Do I watch food/cooking channels and then feel hungry?
- Do I feel hungry because I see or smell something yummy?
Explore all of these possibilities and then come up with solutions! And I’m sure you know what they are but let’s attack them one at a time:
- Check with your doctor regarding your meds
- If you think you’re hungry but it hasn’t been that long since eating, drink a glass of water then wait for at least 10 minutes
- Get enough sleep! And try to go to bed and get up at the same time every day
- Stress? The stressor may not go away but how we can chose how to deal with it. Identify your stressor and then come up with a realistic way to manage it (I guaranty that eating will not make it go away).
- Eat slowly. Put your fork down between bites. Take time to look at the bite. Just eat….don’t eat and read, watch tv or work on your computer.
- Thyroid? Possibly, but only a doctor can confirm this so if you’re questioning it, get it checked.
- Am I eating because I’m sad or anxious? Food won’t solve that either. Deal with the emotions; admit them and face them.
- Switch channels! Of course all those recipes look and sound good! And when walking in the mall and you smell cinnabon…take a pause and ask yourself if you’re actually hungry. If so, head over to Starbucks and get a turkey bacon english muffin or a banana.
Taking a pause is one of my favorite sayings and it’s especially effective when you’re ancy to eat something!
Always have healthy snacks with you in case you do need a quick bit of fuel. I made these delicious bars from Athleticavocado.com this morning (got snowed in and had time for some yummy baking!).
There are so many easy and delicious recipes to chose from to help you keep the hunger at bay!
Another go to snack or breakfast for me are these Baked Oatmeal Cups. I haven’t tried all the flavors yet but how nice that there are so many options!
Like I always say…Be prepared! Have water and healthy snacks with you at all times and you WILL BE more successful in your fight against assumed hunger! Now off to my workout with my breakfast bars in hand for after class!